Welcome to the World of the Nationwide Search of America's Top Drummer

Here, drummers can share experiences, swap tips and more!

Friday, September 3, 2010

Interview with David "Young Professor" Cowan


Q: How did you hear about the Next Great Drummer Competition?
A: Clay and Tami Drayton (Drummers For Jesus So. Cal.) first told me about Next Great Drummer.

Q: What City did you Compete, Judge, or Perform in?
A: I judged in City of Industry, and Westminster, assisted at Knox Berry Farm and performed and assisted at the Long Beach Jazz Fesitval.

Q: What is your role at the Next Great Drummer events?
A: I basically do whatever is needed but am primarily a Judge.

Q: What part of the event has been most meaningful to you and what have you learned?
A: Since I still feel like I'm relatively new to LA the feeling of belonging to some kind of community is the most meaningful part for me. I find the NGD folks to generally be down to earth, friendly, and respectful.

Q: What would you say to other drummers thinking about competing?
A: I tend to de-emphasize the competition element and focus on the community aspect of NGD. I tell people that it's a great, safe, way to have an audience and learn by watching and hearing others and receiving positive feedback about your own playing.

Q: What projects are you working on now that we can share with the public?
A: Currently working with One Tribe Nation as we finish our 2nd album to be released some time in 2011 http://www.onetribenation.com/home.cfm.

Also working with latin rock band ZUR. We're touring with popular latin band Elefante in September. http://www.myspace.com/zurzonaurbanarock

Q: Is there anything else you'd like to share?
A: http://youngprofessordrums.com

No comments: